Wednesday, January 7, 2009

teaching everyone sustainability

Just now I was cooking dinner, right after planting some veggies in my new veggie garden :) I was thinking to myself about how I felt "domestic" something I've never been good at (probably like most people my age and younger :/ or perhaps people who live in bigger/faster paced cities). Back before consumerism was so big and such a part of the American life women knew how to cook complete and wholesome meals for their families, they knew how to sew their own clothes, etc.  My Grandfather built his own house, all by himself! (I'm sure he had friends help perhaps) Thats pretty darn impressive!  My grandmother knew how to make everything under the sun, she knew how to sew clothes and my grandparents had several acres of farm land where they grew tons of different crops like corn, strawberries, green beans, everything! They had bee hives and even raised their own chickens to eat! They were pretty sustainable! I got an awesome idea that it would be great if I could put together a series of classes teaching people to be more "domestic" or sustainable.  Kind of like Home ec classes in high school.  Classes teaching how to bake bread, sewing, vermicomposting and other things to teach sustainability.  I'm not sure how I'd do that though.  It would take a lot of time and organization.  I feel too low on the totem pole to try to accomplish something like that but it would be pretty cool if I could make something like that happen!

No comments: