Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Moooo :(

I just finished watching an episode of Ecopolis.  It is such a cool show and I encourage anyone who is interested in environmental stuff or technology to check it out! One of the issues the episode I just watched mentioned is farming and meat consumption.  This is something I've been thinking about a lot these past weeks.  Listening to them list all the bad impacts cow farming has on this planet makes me want to give up all meat and diary right this second.  Unfortunately I don't think I could ever cut it out of my diet 100%.  I can try to make an effort to reduce the amount of dairy and meat I consume though.  I'm really bad at dieting and cutting things out of my diet :( But hopefully maybe because this reason is much larger then the reasons I've cut stuff out of my diet in the past, it will last longer.  

-Land used to house cows make up 1/3 of the earths land :(
-Cows produce methane when they go the bathroom which is a lot worse for the ozone then even Carbon Dioxide :(
-It is estimated that for each pound of beef produced, 200 square feet of rainforest is destroyed
-Tropical forests are being cut down at a rate of 35.2 million acres-an area the size of New York State-every year.

On the topic of farming and food miles... Most of the food we consume has traveled hundreds, if not thousands, of miles by the time we eat it.  With as much carbon dioxide is released into the air during that process and how fast food goes bad by the time we get it, it just doesn't make sense!  I get that company turned to that measure in order to reduce cost/prices because you have some super farmer who grows large quantities faster and cheaper but is saving a few bucks worth all the damage it's doing?  I am surprised more companies/people aren't supporting local farmers?!? Once I can afford to go shopping again I am going to go check out some of the local farmers market! And I can't wait to get on the band wagon of growing my own food!  Which is a little daunting seeing as every plant I've tried to grow so far has died.  But I'm willing to try and try again until it starts working!!! It's kinda sucks because I will be moving in a few months and I'm not sure how much space I'll have to grow stuff so I'm a little hesitant to start trying to grow stuff now.  When ever I am finally able to grow my own veggies I'll be super excited!!!



No comments: