Wednesday, December 3, 2008

For those of you who have kitties...

Clay litter does such a number on our environment!  Its great to learn that there are now corn and wheat based kitty litters!  Some of the benefits of wheat/corn litter over clay is that they are grown naturally and aren't causing our land to get torn up by people digging for clay.  It has less of a carbon foot print while being "produced" and they can help cut down on the use of plastic bags.  A lot of people scoop their dirty kitty litter into plastic bags, which we all know is terrible for the environment.  It takes 100 years for a plastic bag to decompose.  But the corn and wheat based litters can be flushed down the toilet!  I have 5 kitties and have always been very picky about my litter because with having 5 kitties its hard to keep the litter boxes smelling fresh.  I've tried dozens of litters and only found 2 brands that I felt actually work on keeping the boxes from reeking.  I was originally going to try Swheat Scoop litter (which I still want to try) but the pet store was out of stock so I tried a corn litter.  I was afraid that my bathroom was going to start smelling back but surprisingly it hasn't!  I love that I'm not wasting plastic bags and I actually scoop the litter boxes more frequently because I just scoop them every time I go the bathroom, that way I'm not wasting extra water!  I give corn litter 2 thumbs up!

No comments: