Tuesday, January 12, 2010

the current buzzing of thoughts in my head

Over the past month or so bees keep making their way into my "life" (mostly threw media) one way or another and it has led me to become completely fascinated with bees and beekeeping! It first started with the discovery of an on line novel called 'Bee Quit' (www.readbeequit.com) which is a novel about the looming environmental catastrophe we need to save our selves from. It doesn't mention bees much but for some reason, having a dead bee on top of a smoke stack and the title made me ponder bees, and the disappearance of our bee population. Then a few weeks later after the "No Impact Man" showing I did for my community a woman introduced herself and gifted me a home made jar of honey that, she mentioned, was from her own bee hive. 'Bee hives in Los Angeles?' I thought to myself. I didn't realize that one could keep bees in within city limits! This made me fascinated. Then for xmas my mom got me "Pushing Daisies" which I had never seen before. One of the main characters keeps bees. She has cute little (non-conventional) bee hives and loves her bees to death. She keeps them on a roof top in the city. Once again, 'bee hives in a city'? Then the last straw that broke the camels back into my obsession with bees was reading an article about how they are about to remove the ban on bee keeping in NYC and mentioned urban beekeeping. That was it! I was hooked! Since that article I have spent way too much time reading everything I can about bee keeping! There's a group here in L.A. called Backwards Beekeeping that I'm hoping I can meet up with during one of their regular meetings so I can talk to people who have their own hives here in L.A.

I'm a little sad though because I live in an apartment complex on the first floor which would make it impossible for me to own bees but right now I feel like "if there's a will, there's a way" and I'm determined to find a way!!!

No comments: